U.S. Congressman LaHood made a stop at PCCEO to discuss the impact the Peoria Area Food Bank Has Had on the 18th Congressional District.
Covid-19 has created a hunger crisis within the 18th Congressional District. According to Feeding America and Bread for the World, over 54 million Americans, including 18 million kids will experience hunger in 2020.
Specifically, in the 18th congressional district, the number of people dealing with food insecurity is projected to increase by 56.1% from 2018 to 2020. “I couldn’t be more thankful for the work the Peoria Area Food Bank is currently providing our communities with during these difficult times,” said LaHood.
PAFB remains committed to serving our community and the following highlights were presented during LaHood’s visit.
- 7,300 backpack meals distributed in Peoria, Tazewell and Mason Counties; serving 1,825 families.
- 836,758 pounds of food distributed in Peoria County, serving 7,670 families YTD;
- 632,646 pounds of food distributed in Tazewell County serving 3,750 families YTD;
- 178,407 pounds of food distributed in Mason County, including 52,000 pounds of food distributed via our Mobile Pantry Program serving 562 families YTD;
- Over 1,250,000 meals served, YTD.