On October 26, 2021, the Peoria County Board Redistricting Committee released its proposed redistricting map. The map was created using redistricting data from the 2020 census, which was released in mid-August. The Board has until December 31, 2021, to approve a new map of its 18 districts that reflects the change in population.
Residents may view the proposed map, along with overlays of population changes, the current district boundaries, and current board member residences, at https://arcg.is/0TjCe5. The webpage http://www.peoriacounty.org/redistricting also contains a link to the map, as well as dates for public hearings, ways to give public comment, and additional background information.
The 2020 population of Peoria County is 181,830. Each of the 18 districts encompasses roughly 10,000 people. The proposed map was built using census block data and took into account population shifts, demographics, and jurisdictional boundaries of local entities (such as cities and townships).
Residents may submit comments on the map via multiple channels:
- Public Meetings:
- Redistricting Committee Meeting – November 11 at 5 pm in the Peoria County Board Room
- Peoria County Board Meeting – November 11 at 6 pm in the Peoria County Board Room
- Special Peoria County Board Meeting – November 30, following Executive Committee (time TBD), in the Peoria County Board Room
- Written: Residents may mail or drop off written comments to the Peoria County Board, 324 Main St, Room 502, Peoria, IL 61602
- Email: Residents may email their comments or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Online Comment Form: Residents may use the form at www.peoriacounty.org/redistricting to submit comments to board members.
Large-scale printed maps will be available for viewing by Friday, October 29 in the Peoria County Clerk’s Office and Peoria County Election Commission Office during regular business hours. Paper maps will also be sent to public libraries within Peoria County for viewing.
Residents may obtain a printed map by calling County Administration at (309) 672-6056, Monday-Friday, 8:30 am-5 pm, or by visiting County Administration, located in the Peoria County Courthouse, during those same hours.