This position will be directly responsible for the safe transportation of Head Start children to and from specified locations.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or GED equivalent. Must have a valid Illinois School Bus Permit and CDL. Must participate in no less than 15 professional development hours per year – to be documented in Gateway Excelerate profile.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Knowledge of the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) Radio Communication Codes.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure the safe delivery of all passengers to their prearranged destination.
- Maintain control at all times of the vehicle and its passengers to assure safe passage, regardless of adverse conditions or the improper actions of others.
- Maintain proper licenses, permits and training as required by state and local authorities.
- Secure state certification on all traffic and safety laws of the DOT and DCFS.
- Check daily the operational functions/features of his/her assigned vehicle and notify supervisor of problem areas or take corrective action.
- Assure the safekeeping and operation of all safety equipment, i.e. flares, first aid kit and fire extinguisher.
- Maintain all areas of confidentiality concerning matters relating to Head Start children, families and the Head Start program.
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the job description.
- Must have and maintain a valid Illinois Driver’s license, reliable transportation and insurance coverage as required by the State of Illinois.
- 10. Effectively executes and meets performance requirements of all other duties assigned when not on the bus.
- 11. Supervise monitors performance in preparing for and conducting bus routes, including implementing change of custody procedures.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must have a valid Illinois School Bus Permit and CDL.
- Have and maintain a good driving record.
- Flexible in working hours.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.