The Illinois Rental Payment Program (ILRPP) is now open for landlords only. ILRPP is an emergency rental assistance program designed to support households in Illinois that are unable to pay rent due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The application site is now open for applications.
- Housing providers/landlords may initiate a joint application starting Monday, May 17 through Monday, June 7.
- Tenants will have until Monday, June 14 to complete their portion of a landlord-initiated application.
To apply, please visit the application site at https://ilrpp.ihda.org.
Applicants are eligible for up to 15 months of assistance. The grant can cover the past due rent from the previous 12 months and future rental assistance for the next three months, if deemed necessary. The maximum grant amount is $25,000. The emergency rental assistance is provided by the Federal government and is free to tenant and housing provider. If approved, the grant will be paid to the housing provider in the form of a check.
In order to receive financial assistance through ILRPP, tenants must meet all of the following:
- Household is behind on their rent for at least 30 days;
- Household lives in Illinois and rents their home as their primary residence;
- Household’s total gross income cannot exceed 80% Area Median Income for location;
- Household must have experienced a financial hardship directly — or indirectly — due to the pandemic, for example:
- Being laid off
- Place of employment has closed
- Reduction in hours of work
- Loss of spousal/child support
- Inability to find work due to COVID-19
- Having to stay home with children due to closure of daycare/school
- Unable to participate in previous employment due to the workplace’s high risk of severe illness from COVID-19
- At risk of homelessness or housing instability.
- Housing Providers
- Evidence of past-due rent
- Copy of 2019 Property Tax Bill or 2021 monthly mortgage statement
- Grant payment information for check distribution
- Current signed lease (if available)
- SSN or ITIN
- Employer Identification Number (if payment is made to a business entity)
- Rental unit information (unit type, address, rent amount)
- Fully executed and current property management agreement (if payment is made to a property manager)
- Valid email address
- Government-issued photo ID
- A utility bill or proof of address (if the address on your ID is not your current address)
- Monthly rent and amount past-due
- Proof of household income in 2020
- Proof of public assistance (if applicable)
- Valid email address
- Proof of immigration status (or social security number) is not required
The application will be a joint application from the housing provider and the tenant. We strongly encourage you to communicate with each other and begin preparing your materials. To apply, please visit the application site at https://ilrpp.ihda.org.